Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chapter 3

   One of the mains principles that are important is discovery. Many kids can't say focused if just learning a lecture. The average student spends at least 2 or more hours on a video game. On average the video game changes every 3 to 4 seconds. Its no wonder students focus so much on video games it keeps their attention. The discovery principle is the same. By having the students work on hands-on on a project your able to keep their attention and they are able to learn those problems solving skills need to succeed in future. The second one is Active, critical learning; students that are active in what they learn or accomplish is great for student to have. If they can feel great about what they are doing in the classroom while learning those skills need for the workforce and college. The last principle that I believe is important is committed learning principle. A student should never stop learning. As a future teacher i believe that learning is always important and never stops. There is no limit to learning and i believe that students need to learn everything can. There can never be enough knowledge in a child's brain.

I would have several simulations for each topic or most. For example I would give a student a simulation of the human body and whatever organ or system we where covering that week they would have to figure out the cause or think of a solutions. Or if the lesson for the week was habits then it would be working on how to keep a habit thriving the balances they need. It would be my job to manipulate the simulation to the best of my ability so that my students get what they need out of it.

The discovery principles and simulations go together. The both incorporate making the student work hands on to fix a problem or maintain something. with out the teacher influencing or helping the student realize what is going on; that give the students opportunities to think outside the box and make they're own discoveries.


Jonasse D., Howland J., Marra R. M., & Crismond D. (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your principles Keely. In fact those are the exact same ones that I chose. I think that discovery is the most important because it gives students a chance to experiment and engage in hands on activities. As a P.E. teacher, I am not sure how much game technology I will actually use because I think it is more important for the students to engage in real physical activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that principles and simulations do go hand in hand. I also agree that we should encourage students to think on their own and make good decisions. I like the virtual game because this is fun even to me as an adult. Good posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that simulations and the discovery principle interrelate. I think discovery principle is very important in a students process to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your observation regarding video games is dead on. The kids of today are used to a much faster paced life than before and that makes it very hard to hold their interest for very long. As teachers I think that is going to be one of our main obstacles to overcome.

    ReplyDelete