Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Week .........HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

     Teachers are designers all the time. When creating lessons to engage their students they are designing what they are going to do and how students learn. Sometimes the teacher has to create on the spot when what he or she planned doesn’t work for the students. The teacher will have to have another way of teaching the material that way the student can learn. As a future science teacher I try to find labs that I can use to engage my students in science. Since many students aren’t excited about Science I have to find ways to make them see that science is fun.

       For me I would use the Trebuchet Simulator in my classroom. As a future science teacher I can see this being use during lesson like force and physics. So many students struggle in that area and they need something like Trebuchet Simulator to learn too.  Trebuchet Simulator is software that simulates a throwing device and the students have to manipulate it. (Jonassen, 2008) I think I would put my students into groups and each group will have certain distances and height to keep everyone’s data individual.

 
       Digital Storytelling is a software or program that put more focus on the activity than the technology. (Jonassen, 2008)  The students think up a story and put it together, it is work that is done by collaborating and team work. I would use this when the lesson is going over the time line of the earth and have to kids you facts and their imagination to do the activity.

      The tinkering with data sets that would be fun way to manipulate what we do in labs. I think this one I would use would be good. We could take the data that we did in lab on force or chemistry and change variables. By changing the variables the students can see how accurate they need to be in lab and how one thing can change everything.

     I think it is possible because people do it all the time. People watch the cooking shows, do it yourself shows and they learn the information. They try to do it and sometimes they are successful or they either have a fire in the kitchen or in their backyard. I don’t suggest that everything should be by learning on TV but some things need to stay in books or classrooms. I think TV and other things are going overboard and students should know both ways to learn whether in a classroom or on the computer.
Jonasse D., Howland J., Marra R. M., & Crismond D. (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.

6 comments:

  1. Keely, you have great ideas for you science class. I think the digital storytelling and the Trebuchet Simulator will go great with your science class. As a P.E. teacher I wouldn't use any of these tools in my classroom but I can see them being used for Science, English, and Reading. I also agree with you about not using TV as the only source of learning. I think students should get a variety of learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keely, I think you're right. Teachers are designing all of the time from the start of the school year to the last day of class. Teachers must be flexible in their designs of curriculum, etc. to adapt to changes in a class schedule or to students learning capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey the first thing I thought of when i read about the trebuchet simulator was physics haha so im sure this will difaniatly be a good one to use in your science class

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you said you would use the digital storytellling in your classroom. I never thought of that before because I just figured it would be better used for english. Good thinkin girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you have changed my mind about learning from TV because I like to watch cooking shows. Also I like how you would use story telling in the class room, just give the students a topic and see how many different ways they go about expressing it. I too agree that teachers are designers. We will have to design from day 1. good posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Trebuchet simulator sounds like a great program for students! I am also going to be a science teacher and this program could definitely be used in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete